Saturday, March 21, 2009

Another First

I was able to catch Andrea with her eyes open today. We like to believe she is looking at us. In reality, she's probably still trying to work out where she is, when she should have been swimming away for another 10+ weeks.

Ken and I went to see Andrea this afternoon. Since the boys are not cleared for NICU yet, we took turns waiting in the car with them while the other was up with Andrea. Got to love the DVD player in the minivan!

I lucked out and went up to see Andrea while her nurse was doing the 3 o'clock check. (Every three hours they take her temperature, and blood pressure, change her diaper, clean her mouth and assorted other hygiene tasks.) As part of this check, the nurse was replacing Andrea's bedding. I've never seen that before, and it amazes me how everything is down to a science. The nurse wheeled a tray over with a new set of blankets for Andrea. We call her sleeping arrangement a "nest", because the blankets are rolled inside each other, with Andrea nestled in the center. The nurse set up a new "nest", ready to move Andrea into it. Much to my delight, Andrea had to be removed from the old nest in order to be put in the new one. I was able to hold her during this switch! The nurse picked her up from the isolette, then gently laid her in my two hands. This was the first time I've ever done more than let her hold my finger or gently touch her head. I was able to cradle Andrea for the time it took the nurse to remove the old bed and replace it with the new. It probably lasted 30 seconds, but it was the best part of my day.

In other news, during rounds this morning, it was decided to remove Andrea's IV. As of a few days ago, she was getting only .5 ml pf fluids per hour via IV, and that was only to keep the line open. The doctors felt she didn't need the line anymore, and that it could be put back if the situation changes. I have to say, she looks more comfortable without the line in her arm. Even though the needles and tubes are made for preemies, she looked dwarfed by the IV port in her forearm.

I continue to heal each day, thanks in part to the visiting nurse who comes twice daily to deal with my wound. Just to keep life interesting, Kenny G is still good and sick, but we hope he'll be on the mend soon. The other two men are holding their own. We believe we're all somewhat worn down from the stress, and it just manifests itself differently in each of us. However, every day we get through puts us closer to the happy ending we're praying for.

We have recently received another unexpected outpouring of support to our family, and I need to thank the Collins School community for it. We have been offered type O blood for Andrea, transportation for me until I can drive again, and play dates for Kenny, to keep him busy and provide coverage on the days I can't get back from the hospital before the bus. We are fairly new to the area, and can't believe the generous of outpouring of assistance. Thank you to all from Collins. It helps more than I can express to have Kenny taken care of.

"Reflect upon your blessings, of which every man has plenty, not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some." Charles Dickens
(apologies for the lack of inclusive language - I don't paraphrase the quotes)

No comments:

Post a Comment