Monday, March 30, 2009

Never a Dull Moment


You can see Andrea about to push out her CPAP tube.
Today was my first day completely on my own. Mom is back home getting ready to leave on a long-scheduled vacation (which I insisted she still take) and Ken is at work, since SOMEONE in this family needs to make an income. As soon as the nurse packed my icky wound, I left for the hospital. I always have a moment of dread as I walk into the NICU, wondering what I'm going to face each day. It is infinitely easier to go in with someone - venturing in alone is always harder for me.

Much to my relief, Andrea was happily snoozing away, still doing well on CPAP. I took pictures, but left my camera in NICU, so I'll have to post one tomorrow. For a few days, we were thinking that Andrea had grown a little. She has been gaining weight, but was looking thinner. I learned today that she is now 33 cm, or 12.99 inches. That's almost an inch longer than last weekend. She has dropped a little weight since yesterday, (10 grams, or .35 ounce) but that's not unexpected, and not enough of a loss to worry about. Today's nurse said it's better to look at the whole week, because there will be up days and down days.

While I was visiting Andrea, I learned what one of the worries with CPAP is. Andrea likes to grab things (it is a very good sign that she can grasp objects). She had been pulling at the tape on her face from the ventilator. Well, the CPAP tube is not taped down like the ventilator. While I watched, she got her hand under the tube and pushed the whole thing out of her nostrils. Now, Andrea CAN breathe on her own, but she really needs the extra support of CPAP. I am proud to say that I did NOT panic, at least not on the outside. I found a nurse and asked if this was something we should be concerned about, or was I overreacting. The nurse also did not panic (I don't think they ever do!) but did come over and reconnect Andrea to her tubes. This was the first time she'd managed to dislodge the equipment, but now that she knows she can do it, I doubt it'll be the last!

Please continue to keep Andrea in your prayers. We are moving forward, slowly and steadily. Every good day puts us one day closer to having her home.

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much.”
Mother Teresa of Calcutta

No comments:

Post a Comment