Sunday, April 5, 2009

Mellow Andrea

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Andrea had yet another uneventful day. We made a point of going to church before seeing her today, so we could bring palms for her isolette, so it was pretty late in the day before we got to New Brunswick. To avoid any chance of infection, I made a cross from the palms (as I learned to do from my Grandpa Andy) and Andrea's nurse taped it to the outside of the isolette, instead of inside. Better safe than sorry.

Nothing has changed in Andrea's world since yesterday. She did well with the blood transfusion, and seemed happy to have the IVs out again. Her food is staying at the same 15 ml, complete with all the caloric additives. Her breathing is good with the nasal IMV. Andrea is assessed every three hours, before her feedings. During those assessments, she is removed from the nasal IMV and is breathing on her own. She is also disconnected when being moved from the isolette to me for kangaroo care and when she's returned afterwards. I have to say, she seems to have less trouble breathing on her own during these times than she originally did on nasal IMV. I think her lungs are gradually growing bigger and stronger.

During kangaroo care today, Andrea was unusually alert for the first five minutes or so. I hold her pretty high up my body, so I can't see her face, but the nurse told me her eyes were wide open for some time. I rocked her and sang, as usual, which makes me happy and is supposed to help her. I wonder if she'll remember these songs as she gets older. I always sing "All Things Bright and Beautiful" - I think she'll be in church some day and wonder why the song sounds so familiar. By the third or fourth song, Andrea had fallen asleep, and I could feel her tiny body moving as she breathed.
Andrea has strong ideas about how she likes to be placed in the isolette. The nurses need to move her every three hours so she doesn't get bed sores or develop other problems. Her position of choice is on her belly. She'll tolerate being placed in her left side, is less thrilled to be on her right side, and HATES to be on her back. After I held her today, she must have been really mellow going back into the isolette. As you can see in today's picture, she seems incredibly relaxed. We rarely see her looking like this when she's on her back. I like to think I can take credit for her attitude!

Since it's Sunday, Andrea will be measured tonight. I'll find out tomorrow whether or not she's added any more length to her tiny self. She's approaching 32 weeks - she has a lot of growing to do in the next nine weeks or so! The nurses tell us that the least important factor in deciding when to send her home is her weight. There are other milestones she needs to reach with her breathing, eating , digestion, etc. When she meets all of those, she can be considered for discharge, even if she's still a little on the small side.

We said special prayers for Andrea today, and ask that you continue to pray for her as well. We can't wait for her to come home and meet all the people who have been so instrumental in her well-being.


“Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.”
Gail Devers

1 comment:

  1. Love seeing the pictures and hearing all the great news about Baby Andrea's progress! It's great she is tolerating the Nasal IMV so well! Some babies hate it and are always pulling it out! It really is terrific to hear the awesome news of her progress, every day! Much love and prayer,
    Deb & Scott www.connorshouse.org

    ReplyDelete