Friday, April 24, 2009

Just like a real baby!


There are so many advantages to the change from CPAP to nasal cannula. One of them is that it's much easier for Andrea to use a pacifier. It actually fits against her face like it's supposed to. Here she is, sleeping and sucking away. She gets fatigued easily, and will suck a few times, then rest, but she has the ability to suck and swallow, which is very important. We are working toward bottle feeding, and the pacifier helps Andrea get ready for that.
Andrea lost a tiny bit of weight yesterday - 5 whole grams. Since the nasal cannula requires more effort from Andrea than the CPAP did, no one is especially surprised or concerned about this minuscule drop. Her food was increased to 22 ml of fortified milk and MCT oil, and she continues to adjust to the new breathing regime. I got to hold her today - the first time without all the head gear. It was wonderful to feel her head against my chest. Another advantage of the discontinuation of CPAP is that Andrea's head has already begun to revert back to its normal shape. It has a way to go, but it's already dramatically better than it was.
Ken had his first kangaroo care experience last night. He's been a good sport about letting me have the time with Andrea, but it just worked out that he was able to hold her for a while. I can't speak for him, but I know he was ecstatic to finally get to hold his daughter. I waited 5 weeks... for Ken it was 8. Unless you've experienced that, it's impossible to describe how unbearable the waiting can be.
I'm not sure if I'll be able to post tomorrow... Ken and I are going to a wedding and grabbing a night in a hotel near the hospital to make it easier to see Andrea on Sunday. I don't know if I will be able to log on from the hotel. I'll try - but don't worry if there's no post. Just keep praying and sending us positive energy.
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart; and don't lean on your own understanding. In all things acknowledge him, and he shall direct your way. "
Proverbs 3:5, 6

1 comment:

  1. When Cameron was born almost six years ago, he was three and a half weeks early. I had some issues with healing from my c-section. I was in the hospital for five days, and he was in for eight. I finally got to hold him eight hours after he was born. He had NONE of the health issues Andrea has had, obviously, but I know how agonizing the waiting was for us through it all. Yours has been a much more prolonged and dramatic (and scary!) journey. And yet you handled it far better than I ever did, I think!

    You impress me so much.

    ReplyDelete